“The Giving Touch” is a platform to provide opportunity and access to those of the greatest need within the community, via Massage Therapy. 2013 Goals / Operations:
- Raise the funds needed to build the Himalayan Healer’s Massage Therapy School in Nepal
- Help facilitate job placements at spas outside of Nepal for “Himalayan Healers of Nepal” staff and graduates
- Arranging logistics and providing training for international students who wish to visit Nepal
- Opening “The Giving Touch” Massage Therapy School in Colorado to assist Americans of need
Built upon the growths, challenges, lessons, and successes of the past 8 years of building and running the Himalayan Healers project in Nepal, “The Giving Touch” is the next step in this journey. If you are interested in learning more about Himalayan Healer’s history, please click here for a brief overview.
The Himalayan Healers project is the only massage therapy school in the world that was designed specifically to provide professional massage therapy training to those who are considered “Untouchable” in India and Nepal. This vision soon expanded to include training for any and all of need, particularly those who experienced some form of trauma (be it human trafficking, domestic abuse, or generational trauma in a variety of forms). By providing 500 hours of professional massage therapy training to our students they were able to free themselves from their emotional pain and scars, to regain a healthy sense of touch, and to move forward as powerful, positive, confident individuals in the world. Over 8 years more than 150 Nepalis of profound need were trained and employed, dramatically changing their lives – and the lives of those around them – for the better.
As both Founder and primary Funder of the project, Rob Buckley worked for 8 years to build the Himalayan Healers platform. He also worked on an entirely volunteer basis. In late 2012 it was time to pass the torch, and the Himalayan Healers platform was handed over to local management and direction, with 8 spa boutiques and a training center for the local team to manage as “Himalayan Healers of Nepal”. We truly wish them the greatest success in their ongoing efforts.
Numerous media links and successes were achieved in the past 8 years, including:
- Asia Spa magazine: “The Best Himalayan Spa Experiences“
- Asia Spa Awards, 2011 shortlist: “Top 8 Spa Academy of the Year“
- “Top 10 Philanthropic Cause in Asia”, 2010
- CNNgo.com, “Top 28 Most Relaxing Spas in Asia”
- Kathmandu Post, “Healing Hands“
- ABMP Massage & Bodywork magazine, “Himalayan Healers: Changing Cultures With Massage Education“
- Organic Spa magazine, “The Healing Power of Touch“
- Steve Capellini book “Touchy Subjects“
One of the primary goals of The Giving Touch platform is to continue to raise awareness and funds for the effort to build the Himalayan Healers massage therapy school in Nepal. Despite significant social success in Nepal over the past 8 years, the financial success required to build a massage school has yet to manifest. The Himalayan Healers organization in USA will continue to promote and support these efforts. A further support will be direct contributions from The Giving Touch massage school in Colorado.
The vision for the massage school is simple:
1. Rather than wasting funds on the purchase of incredibly expensive land in Nepal (which also brings with it the question of ownership) a 20 year local lease will be requested from local Nepali communities, with a target of Manang as the likely location. In exchange for building a massage school and community center we will request that we are able to operate massage therapy trainings rent free for 20 years, at which point the land and building will be handed over to the local community or school for oversight and implementation.
2. This greatly reduces the initial expenses required to achieve our goal, and is also more of a true community benefit.
3. The building itself will have a simple design that allows for multiple uses and functions. Suggested combined uses include: mini-library, tutoring center, health clinic, community hall, and of course, massage training center. A needs-resources analysis will be conducted prior to construction to ensure community interest and benefit are maximized.
4. Projected expenses will be listed as they develop and evolve, and updates will be posted and shared as the above process moves forward. Several local volunteers have been identified as possible links between local operations and the West. More soon on all of the above!
Another primary goal of the Giving Touch platform and it’s efforts to help facilitate job placement for Himalayan Healers of Nepal graduates, students, and staff. Over the past 8 years we have declined far more opportunities than we have accepted, with a primary focus upon arranging safe employment outside of Nepal. Four Seasons Resorts has worked with us on numerous occasions, and we hope to build upon and expand on those links and opportunities.
Both customized as well as standard training protocols can be developed as per the employers needs, while qualified, ambitious, positive Nepalis of need can be recruited to provide extremely skilled and loyal staff. Please contact us to share any ideas or queries you may have – We look forward to working with you.
We are currently in the process of registering our massage therapy school in Colorado. This school is based primarily upon the social-entrepreneurship structure developed over the past 8 years with Himalayan Healers operations in Nepal. Each training will provide access and opportunity to those of the greatest need in the USA, by providing:
- 0% interest student loan
- 500 hours of certified training
- job placement assistance
- significantly lower tuition rate than other schools
If you are interested in starting a new career, or need help with transitions in your life, we are eager to connect with you and to support you in your efforts.
Logistics, training standards, and job placement assistance are all available via the Giving Touch platform. We are currently organizing a 2 month training experience in Nepal for June / July of 2013. These training experiences are:
- All-inclusive of room and board
- Based upon homestay experiences with local Nepali families, providing a truly authentic and cultural experience
- Primarily hands-on and practical
Further details will be provided and updated as they evolve. If you are interested in learning more please let us know – we look forward to supporting you!
THANK YOU for your interest in our work The Giving Touch! We look forward to hearing from you, connecting with you, and learning from you. Please email us directly at:
The power of getting in touch!
Massage therapy is at core about “giving”, and massage therapists are on average some of the most truly giving people on the planet. We give of our hearts and our hands every single day. With this understanding in heart and in mind, we are seeking to grow our personal community of those who are “Giving Touch”.
If you resonate with our organization’s efforts and mission we ask that you consider becoming a Member of “The Giving Touch” and commit to donating the partial income from 1 massage per year for 5 years:
- By donating $60 or more each year to “The Giving Touch” we will be able to collectively have a dramatically positive impact upon those of the greatest need in both America and abroad.
- Our opening efforts are to open our “Giving Touch” massage therapy school in Colorado. The income from this school will eventually fund the construction of the Himalayan Healers massage therapy school in Nepal.
- This is where the “Giving Touch” becomes the most evident: By giving your professional massage touch to your client, and by passing on the abundance from those efforts, you will be supporting the efforts to open the Giving Touch massage school in Colorado as well as the Himalayan Healers massage school in Nepal. You will be “Giving Touch” to Americans of need as well as “Untouchables” in Nepal.
A simple gesture of passing on the partial income from 1 massage per year can have a truly profound impact throughout the world. If you are interested in becoming a Member or in learning more, please contact us, we look forward to connecting and sharing with you. Please consider becoming a member and passing along the “Giving Touch”.
If you feel drawn to give, you can use the following PayPal link to contribute the partial income from 1 of your massages. Your support will truly have a dramatically positive effect on those of the greatest need, in America and in Nepal:
We are excited to partner with therapists in America who have been involved with and supportive of our work at Himalayan Healers over the past 8+ years. Several therapists have learned the “Nepali Massage” (c) technique and are now offering official workshops on this unique and powerful massage modality.
If you would like to spend a weekend learning with one of our officially licensed trainers of “Nepali Massage” (c) by Himalayan Healers, please contact us or reach out to any of the official trainers listed below.
A portion of proceeds from each workshop directly supports our efforts at “The Giving Touch” as well as Himalayan Healers in Nepal. By learning a new modality you will also be directly supporting our community service efforts in America and abroad.
Each workshop participant receives a complimentary DVD and is also eligible to complete the included exam, which provides 16 Continuing Education Unit credits.
Truly a win-win for everyone involved:
- You learn a new and powerful massage modality to incorporate within your practice.
- Your clients receive a wonderful new massage technique from you.
- Our licensed trainers have an added revenue source for their practices and families.
- Support and awareness is generated for “The Giving Touch” as well as Himalayan Healers in Nepal.
- Everyone benefits, together.
To learn more please contact us or reach out directly to our officially licensed trainers below:
- Sudarshana Adhikari, “A Touch of Nepal” massage therapy, Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Meredith Ball, “Trinity Therapeutic Massage, LLC”, Baltimore, Maryland.
If you would like to learn more about becoming an officially licensed trainer of “Nepali Massage” (c) and begin offering your own workshops we look forward to connecting with you.